Sunday, January 25, 2009

Photography Escape - Part II

I sat here writing a review of our photography course, pressed the wrong button and lost everything just in time to watch the web page 'autosave'!!!! I'm not going to attempt to write it again. Lets just say it was an enjoyable four day break. I learnt a hell of a lot about digital photography and I'm now trying to figure out what to do next.

Our Sony A100 DSLR is now for sale on eBay. I'm also selling a compact camera in the hope of using the funds to put towards some new lenses. My Nikon came with a 18-105mm lens and I was planning on buying the 70-300mm VR lens to compliment it. However, the course has given me a better idea of what we actually need. I'm now looking at a 35 - 100mm Macro lens, a 10-20mm wide angle for landscape photography and possibly a zoom lens. I need lenses with a decent aperture. At maximum zoom I can only get ours down to f/5. Which isn't enough if I want a shallow depth of field. There's a great camera shop about 30 minutes from our house so once I've sold our cameras on eBay I'm going to pop down and have a play around with various lenses and see what works.

The bigger question is what sort of photography interests me?us? Landscape is a given, documentary is interesting but time consuming, portraiture is good too but I love architecture. A friend has sent me links to a couple of sites that provide online training and I'm having a look to see if there is something that can help me move forward.

No comments: