Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Tunes

It's been a while since I last posted so here is a little update

We've booked out next holiday - end of September cruising down the Caledonian Canal with Caley Cruisers. It should be interesting and I just pray the weather holds out. We looked at the Norfolk Broads and the English/Welsh canal system but as I said to Abi 'It's not cruising if I can jump over the canal'. After out experiences in Australia (Hawkesbury River) I wanted to go somewhere similar, lots of space and as few people as possible - Scotland fitted the bill - wide canals and huge locks. We’ve hired a 35 foot cruiser which comes complete with an LCD TV, DVD and MP3 player. How cool is that (providing we can find a mooring with electrical power). Abi, as second mate and chief cook is preparing the food for the trip. I expect gourmet meals and plenty of good wine. My role as captain involves driving (is that the correct expression), navigation and keeping order on ship.

I deleted my iTunes library last night!!!!!! Not something I do every day. The library was nearing 130GB and I decided a little pruning was in order. I'd downloaded some freeware to help me identify any redundant files and when prompted to backup the library before starting I clicked on No!!!!! I could have said yes but being the cowboy that I am I replied NO!!!!!...Why did I do that?!?!?!?!?!? All my history disappeared in an instant and I was left with an empty library. Not the sort of pruning I intended. I've recovered the music/videos but lost ALL the metadata. Bang goes my play counts, ratings, comments and import details. It doesn't sound that important but I use this information to create dynamic play lists and get rid of rubbish. Anyway, a few minutes spent on goggle unearthed iPodRip which should solve the problem.

I heard a thought provoking comment by a politician on the news this morning. 'With rights comes responsibility'. He was discussing the case of an Italian guy who murdered a teacher 12 years ago. It seems the gentleman is up for parole and has appealed the decision to deport him. His appeal was upheld as he had been living in the country for 20 years (12 of which he spent in prison!!!!). So he is being allowed to stay. I really don't care about his rights, kick him out and send him back home. He didn’t care about anyone else when he murdered that teacher. I don’t want a person like that living in this country. He probably won’t be able to work and will be on benefits for the rest of his life. Why should I work to support someone like that? Apparently the reason they can’t deport him is that Italy is in the European Union and he can just come right back. Fantastic!!! I think I’m going to vote for the UK Independence Party next time. I’m quite happy with free trade and the single currency but that’s about it.

Is it me or is the BBC 1 Breakfast news dumbing down. I have 30 minutes to eat my breakfast and watch the news. I want to know what’s going on, some local news and the weather. Not some stupid report on newreaders learning so water ski, or sailing at Cowes or finding funny stories in the newspapers. What a lot of rubbish. I’m going to have to find another news channel to watch and it’s not going to be Bloomberg or Sky News.

No comments: