Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A long overdue update

Just a short update on what we've been up to recently.

We took the bikes out on Saturday but only managed to get a mile before I got a puncture. I'm going to look at alternative routes or try and work out how to reinforce my tires. When farmers cut hedges it would be nice if they cleared up after themselves rather than leaving crap all over the path. I'm sure my puncture was caused by a stray thorn!!! Once we were home I popped next door to give my neighbour a hand clearing some ground in front of our houses. After about 20 minutes I was struggling with some roots and strained my back. All I could manage after that was helping clear up and putting down the weed killer. I've been hobbling around like a geriatric for most of the week. Abi and I babysat that evening. A total non event and it all seems pretty easy to me. You go round, check on the baby every hour or so and enjoy a nice meal, watch a movie and scoff bags of chocolate. Parenting is simple!!

We're planning to take part in a 100KM (62 Miles) walk in Ypres this summer. Held over three days it involves a hell of a lot of walking. With that in mind we've purchased some good walking boots/socks but have yet to undertake a serious walk. This weekend is our first attempt. We plan to walk 20KM (it's actually 12 miles but using kilometres makes it sound a hell of a lot longer) from Bramley to Cranleigh and back. Not that far but we thought it was best to start small and work our way up to 30 - 40 KM's. I'll let you know how we get on.

It's only two weeks & three days until we leave for the US. I can't wait although I'm still a little apprehensive about driving a 30ft RV. The highway should be fine it's what happens when we leave it that worries me. I downloaded the owner's manual the other night and its 140 pages long. This thing is more like a boat. It's got storage tanks, outlets and power sockets, air conditioning units and all sorts.

We booked our first two camp sites last night. The first is in Sedona, Arizona and the second is just outside Monument Valley just over the border in Utah. From there we plan to stop for the day at a place called Chinle in Arizona and then move on to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. It's interesting to note that although we're in the desert (think John Wayne and Clint Eastwood) the places we are visiting are a minimum of 3000ft above sea level, some are 5000 - 6000 ft. So it's not going to be as warm as you might think. Phoenix has an average temperature of 70+ (20 Degrees C) degrees but the four corners area (Utah/Colorado/Arizona & New Mexico) will have a maximum temperature today of 33 degrees (1 Degree c) with light snow showers. Looks like the thermal underwear and fleeces are coming with us :-)

More to come before we leave.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

"After about 20 minutes I was struggling with some roots and strained my back. All I could manage after that was helping clear up and putting down the weed killer. I've been hobbling around like a geriatric for most of the week."

You are not that young either ...
:-))

PS: Have you seen my google-address, I had to subscribe for blogging (anonym sounds not nice) and I thought this address will be only for your blog, so I have choosen this name - only for Rob. :-)

Anonymous said...

Parenting Easy!!!! I dare you to take one small red headed demon for a week - then we will see . . . . one problem would be solved, you wouldn't have any money in your pocket for it to burn a hole!!

All I can say is have children while you are young!!

Love Fe