Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's over before it really began

Flight ABI 009 left a cold, damp UK bound for the warm shores of Australia at 22:30 last night. As I write this she’s somewhere over Eastern Europe. Probably above one of the former soviet states ending with ~stan. She gets into Bangkok about 10:00 UK time and finally reaches Sydney at 19:10 UK/06:10 Thursday local time. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and the shuttle bus will probably leave just as she’s pulling into the hotel. :-( B**GER!!!

I’ve been reading back through the blog and realised that Abi and I have yet to comment on our trip to Barcelona. Although looking forward to the weekend I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It’s a wonderful place to wander around and the architecture is so varied. From modern hotels to gothic buildings to Gaudi’s masterpieces. We walked for hours and covered a lot of the city centre. The highlight was walking back form La Sagrada Familia (bit of a building site) to the hotel on the last day. It took a while but it was such a nice afternoon, perfect for walking. We found a great café in a residential area and had a wonderful lunch for a fraction of the cost they charge tourists downtown. Fantastic.

While on the subject of architecture I thought I would mention my favourite building. New York’s Chrysler Building, slightly ahead of the Rockefeller Center and my own humble abode. La Sagrada Familia is interesting but it won’t be finished in my time. ‘Walter P. Chrysler wanted a provocative building which would not merely scrape the sky but positively pierce it.’ I’d be interested to see what other people think. Please stagger your comments as I’m having difficulty coping with the volume :-)

Wonderful headline in the Telegraph today, ‘All is lost after foolish final day’. I would imagine the red tops are a lot less restrained. Looks like England’s Cricket team has lived up to expectations. Seriously though, not everyone can be a winner. At least they can relax and enjoy the sights. Hahahaha

Quote for the day. 'If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation' David Brent

No comments: