Wednesday, July 05, 2006

'''Googlewhacked'''

Well here I am in Perth, miles from anywhere and a long way from home. Here are some fast facts about the state
  • 5,386 KM2
  • 1.4 million people
  • 5 hours flying time from Sydney
  • 18 hours flying time from London (unless you can't fly direct and then it's 28 hours!!!)
  • In Australia and not Scotland
  • Having problems with water
  • Not as many traffic problems as Sydney
  • ...and still not in Scotland
Work is going well, but nothing exciting to report. I get up, have breakfast, go to work, come back, have a beer and go to bed. Tonight was a little different as I waited 30 minutes for a blody taxi to turn up!!!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!! I've been staying at the Hilton Hotel downtown and that's the last Hilton I ever stay at. They are awful. It's like every Hilton was updated in the mid 1980's and never touched since. It may be because those lay-a-bout Hilton sisters are spending the family loot on tacky clothes and silly dogs. Anyway, I'm moving to the Hyatt tonight, it's cheaper, a better hotel and doesn't smell like an old sock (well I hope it doesn't).
I'm leaving for Sydney on Saturday and coming back home on the 15th. I'm glad I'm down here now England have been knocked out of the World Cup. The rubbish written in the papers wouldn't be worth reading. I heard Germany got knocked out last night and I'm hoping too that France will win. Although I'm a Spurs supporter I love watching Henry and Vierra play together, and Ziddane!!!!! I know he's getting past it but what a star.
On another note I've been reading Dave Gormans Googlewhack adventure. A great book about meeting people he Googlewhacked. What is a Googlewhack I hear you say? Well, it's searching for two words on google.com and only getting one hit. Sounds easy I hear you say!!! Well just go ahead and try, but remember to follow the rules on the website. In the book he meets some very strange people in some very odd places. He then ask's them to find two more Googlewhacks and meets those people...and so on...!!! He wrote another book entitled 'Meeting Dave Gorman' where he attempts to meet 54 people with the same name. Have a look at his web site. Each of his adventures starts as a bet. It's just so interesting to see where he's going to end up and who he'll meet.
All this got me thinking last night. Life is about experiences, the places you go and the people you meet. How you interact with other people and how lives change. A bit like 'Sliding Doors'.......The thought that popped into my mind was 'Do Something', I want to be the guy that other people read about (and not because I'm arrested for shop lifting in Tesco's). So that got me thinking some more and as Baldrick would say 'I have a cunning plan, more cunning than a cunning fox that has studdied cunning for several years'...more will be revealed later :-)
I've updated my links (on the right hand side of the screen). Have a look at the online clock, it's very odd but very watchable. (I can hear you say 'Here's a man with too much time on his hands!!!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was supposed to be a daily record?

rob said...

It's not a daily record Herb. Some of us have to work for a living :-)