Monday, July 10, 2006

Gateway to Australia

Right, I'm back in Sydney after spending the past week in Perth. A shorter flight than the outbound trip. Only 4 hours, it's either downhill or the winds behind us.
It seems slightly strange coming back to Sydney. It feels like home but not quite, if you know what I mean. The same surroundings, the same hotel, the same awful trip to work. Sydney is a wonderful city, but frustrating at the same time. Abi and I agree we would never want to live here but it will always be a special place for us.
When I checked in and got to my room I found some presents waiting for me. It seems that I'm now a 'Hotel VIP' :-) Another card to add to my collection. I got two silver (I think) luggage tags, a bottle of wine, a basket of fruit and 20% discount in the hotels bars and restaurants. Excellent and it hasn't cost me a penny!!!!
I had a bit of a lie-in Sunday and then walked to the main shopping area (Pitt Street) and found myself in the RipCurl shop (surfing gear). I bought a few t-shirts before heading of to Myer (department store) and having a look round. Then it was in to David Jones (another department store). One thing the Aussies have kept are the Victorian Arcades. There are loads of them over here. I'd have to say that the most impressive Victorian building is the Queen Victoria Building, QVB. It's a lovely arcade and has obviously been restored at some point. A great place to visit.
I rounded of my afternoon with a walk round Darling Harbour, grabbed a coffee in Starbucks, sat on the harbour wall for a while and started to read my new book. I've just finished the Googlewhack Adventure and bought 'Adventure Capitalist'. It's about a retired investment banker who decides to drive around the world in a customised Mercede's soft top. That should be pretty easy when you've got plenty of money, but trying to drive through 30 conflicts should prove interesting.
I'm off to the Rocks tonight for a few beers and dinner. It's supposed to be the oldest part of Sydney settled when the first fleet arrived in 1788(?). Now a tourist destination. Right..The latest news is that they want me to stay until next Thursday. Looks like I have plenty more work to do and I'd rather do it down here than have to do late night tele-conferences. So I've got another weekend in the city. I'm going to have to think of something different to do. If anyone has some suggestions please let me know.
Not a very interesting blog, but it's nice to be able to share my thoughts with all of you.
How do you make tomorrow better than today
If you always live your life stuck in yesterday

No comments: